“Use My Confiscated Camera As Evidence”
Dicle News Agency (DİHA) reporter Nazım Daştan was summoned to testify for charges related to “violating the border regulations” while reporting on the Syrian refugees crossing the border from Deli Osman Village located in the southern province of Kilis.
On August 14, he was detained for “photographing in a military zone” and released after his statement. His camera, though, was confiscated.
Confiscated camera requested as evidence
“We went to the point zero, but we didn’t enter the buffer zone,” the senior journalist with 5 year experience told Antep 21st Assize Court yesterday.
“We were watching Syrian refugees cross the border from Deli Osman Village. When the soldiers noticed us, we went and talked to them. They seized our cameras illegally after we had a disagreement.”
The journalist told bianet that some of the photographs in the aforementioned camera were taken in Antep’s Karkamış district 3 weeks prior to his detention and had nothing to do with the case investigation.
“I requested the analysis of photographs and taken as evidence [for acquittal],” he said.
Another case launched for Gezi
Previously, he was charged with violating Law No 2911 on Public Gatherings and Demonstrations while reporting the Gezi Resistance protests in Antep. Detained after being beaten, the journalists was released upon his statement. (EÖ/BM).
* Click here to read the article in Turkish.
MAY 3 WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY
Journalism rights thrive on reader support!
BİA MEDIA MONITORING REPORT 2025
Those who want to silence journalists are now more brazen!
BİA MEDIA MONITORING OCTOBER-NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2025
The future of journalism is in danger under government pressure!
BİA MEDIA MONITORING JULY-AUGUST-SEPTEMBER 2025
Prolonged detentions and judicial control tighten pressure on journalists
BİA MEDIA MONITORING APRIL-MAY-JUNE 2025
Unprecedented pressure on journalists under the government's watch