Concerning the United States suspending the visa services in Turkey, US State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert has said that “it was coordinated with the State Department, White House and the NSC”.
Expressing support for US Ambassador to Turkey John Bass for whom President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said “We don’t see him as US’ representative in Turkey”, Nauert said, “we are proud to have him serving in Turkey… He is one of the best ambassadors that we have out there”.
Concerning the crisis, President Erdoğan said in his speech he made in Serbia yesterday:
“If the ambassador had made this decision on his own, the US senior management shouldn’t keep him at his post not even for a minute. If my ambassador had done such a thing, we would have fired him already”.
US State Department Spokesperson Nauert responded to questions with respect to the visa crisis:
“It is very disturbing for us”
- Let me just be clear we were disappointed in their actions
- Turkey arrested two of our staff at two different places. A third embassy staff member was summoned by Turkish authorities
- These actions are very disturbing for us. We are still concerned about the situation in Turkey
- We ask the Turkish government what evidence do you have? What are you trying to gain from it?
- Our ambassadors tend to not do things unilaterally. This was coordinated with the State Department, it was coordinated with the White House and coordinated with the NSC.
- We have a very close coordination and cooperation with our ambassadors, and particular Ambassador Bass.
- He is one of the best ambassadors that we have out there, proud to have him serving in Turkey and looking forward to having him in his next post.
“Allowing access to attorneys would be a good start”
- I think a good start would be to allow them access to their attorneys. To our knowledge, they have not had access to legal counsel as of this point.
- We have not seen any evidence that backs up what the Turkish Government accuses them of, so that would be a good start. (EKN/TK)
Erdoğan: US is Responsible for Visa Crisis 11 October 2017Concerning the visa crisis, President Erdoğan has said, “How did these spies infiltrate ...
Most Read Today
‘Kurdistan’ Penalty for HDP MP Osman Baydemir 13 December 2017
CPJ: Turkey Remains World’s Worst Jailer for Second Consecutive Year 13 December 2017
AKP Penalizing Baydemir Over ‘Kurdistan’ Had Applauded Erdoğan 14 December 2017