On Sunday night, US President Barack Obama comes to Turkey’s capital Ankara. On Monday (6 April), he is to address the Turkish parliament and speak to party leaders. It is known that he will ask for soldiers for Afghanistan and that the Justice and Development Party (AKP) will want to discuss the fight against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
On Tuesday, Obama will come to Istanbul. Unfortunately, we at bianet will not be able to speak to him. In fact, because he is coming, the Istanbul governor will shut down roads and squares, making our lives more difficult.
However, we will use this medium to call on Obama. He has made the decision to close Guantanamo Bay within a year, and we want him to continue with policies of “change” in other areas:
Please close down the US military bases in Turkey. You could start with the İncirlik base near Adana, in the south of Turkey, built in 1951. Your country used it illegally for its wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it harbours nuclear weapons.
- Pull out of Iraq immediately, and give up on trying to control Afghanistan. Your previous government terrorised the whole world in the name of “war on terrorism” and shelved rights and freedoms. We would like them back.
- Recognise the International Criminal Court so that your country’s leaders can be tried for war crimes that have been alleged. We want justice.
- If you do not take decisive steps to deal with global warming, you will drag your country and the whole world into distaster – undoubtedly, the poorest will go first. We ask for urgent change.
- Abolish the death penalty. According to Amnesty International, 37 people were killed by the state in your country last year. This is unacceptable.
- Stop wrestling with Cuba and lift the embargo. Also give up supporting fascist leadership in places around the world. You can make up for your support of such regimes in the past. It is difficult, but not impossible.
- Realise that capitalism is not the solution. Become socialist – you will see that everything is better than. (EÜ/AG)
Related bianet News
DTP to Discuss Kurdish Issue With Obama 05 April 2009US president Obama arrives in Turkey this afternoon. DTP MP Tuncel says they ...
Obama to Meet Opposition Leaders Separately 02 April 2009Parliamentary Speaker Toptan has announced that US President Obama will meet opposition leaders ...
“Obama Trying to Make Turkey US Outpost” 10 March 2009Associate Professor Çalışkan believes that Obama’s impending visit is aimed at getting Turkey ...
“USA Should Not Make Turkey Partner in War Crimes” 03 March 2009Pacifists have accused the USA of withdrawing from Iraq not out of respect ...
“Obama Can’t Be Worse than Predecessors” 22 January 2009We asked people in the streets of Eminönü, central Istanbul, what they thought ...
Obama Era Starts in USA 21 January 2009Barack Obama has been sworn in as 44th President of the United States. ...
Inaugural Address of President Barack Obama 21 January 2009Read here in full the remarks as prepared for delivery by the 44th ...
Human Rights Organisations: Obama, Close Down Guantanamo! 13 January 2009Human rights organisations have called on Obama to present a detailed plan for ...