The Human Rights Association has mentioned regress of democracy and human rights in Turkey at its headquarters on its 32nd anniversary.
The association listed its suggestions and demands in its statement on the occasion of 32nd year of its foundation:
- Turkey needs a new peace process that will accept its Kurdish question and resolve it.
- Freedom of expression is base of democracy. Paving the way for democracy doesn’t look possible without ensuring freedom of thought and press.
- Obstruction of parliamentary democratic system and democratization by strongman regime is a huge step back. Turkey’s problems can be solved within democratic system.
- Importance of separation of powers shows itself in independent and unbiased jurisdiction. It is not possible to achieve justice without a legal order in line with the principle of rule of law.
- The political authority declared that it won’t extend State of Emergency but the law draft submitted to the parliament raises the concerns that State of Emergency will be permanent. Permanent State of Emergency regime must be abandoned.
98 rights defenders
The İHD was formed on July 17, 1986 by 98 rights defenders including people from various occupational groups such as writer, journalist, doctor, legist, architecture and academics:
Leman Fırtına, Şaziment Şulekoğlu, Melahat Sarptunalı, Ali Aydemir, Emil Galip Sandalcı, Arslan Başer Kafaoğlu, Murat Kadri Belge, F. Adalet Sümer, Şükran Ketenci, Gencay Gürsoy, M. Nuri Karacan, Adnan Çelik, Sennur F. Çelik, S. Özcan Öktem, Yücel Sayman, Ragıp Zarakolu, H. Alpay Kabacalı, O. Merih Sezen, Z. Ayla Akbal, Bekir Doğanay, Nebi Barlas, Ahmet H. Kırım, M. Ali Özpolat, Kemal İ. Keleşoğlu, Handan Koç, Gülizar Çağlayan, Didar Şensoy, Tahsin Şulekoğlu, Filiz Karakuş, M, İzzet Eray, Srap Yakut, Sacide Çekmeci, Recep Cüre, M. Oktay Akıncı, Mihriban Kırdök, Şükran Akın, Zarif Sel, Hüseyin Ekinci, Neriman Deniz, İbrahim Saydan, Rona Aybay, Aydın Aybay, Sadık Gürbüz, Osman Ergin, Vahide Açan, Işıl Özgentürk, Müşerref Toper, Mahmut Tali Öngören, Fatma Ümit Sezer, Ali Sirmen, Osman Öge, Mehmet Ali Aybar, Ercümennt Tahiroğlu, Aykut Başçıl, Şirin Tekeli, Niyazi Ağırnaslı, Haldun Özen, Yavuz Önen, Cahit Talas, Hıdır Göktaş, Güngör Aydın, Aydın Erdoğan, Jülide Gülizar, Ayşe Sirmen, Cevat Geray, M. Yücel Akıncı, Kazım Bayraktar, Vecihi Timuroğlu, Hüsnü Öndül, İbrahim Tezan, Zeki Tavşancıl, Ahmet Bozkurt Çağlar, Mehdi Bektaş, Fevzi Bahattin Argun, Ahmet Abakay, Nusret Fişek, İbrahim Açan, Ahmet Tahtakılıç, Veli Devecioğlu, Nevzat Helvacı, AkınBirdal, Fatma Çakır, İsmet Özdal Demirdöven, M. Emin Değer, Halit Çelenk, Gülten Akın, Erbil Tuşalp, İsmail Sami Çakmak, Ali Bozkurt, M. Suphi Gürsoytrak, Aziz Nesin, Haluk Bahri Gerger, Hamdi Konur, Hikmet Koçak, İbrahim Yetkin, Nurkut İnan, İsmet Pekdemir, Perihan Akçam. (AS/TK)
Most Read Today
TRIAL OF ACADEMICS Prof. Dr. Gençay Gürsoy Sentenced to 2 Years, 3 Months in Prison 11 December 2018
HDP Announces the 'Judiciary Toll' 11 December 2018
Demirtaş: God Forbid, I Didn't End Up Outside 11 December 2018