Click to read the article in Turkish
General Assembly of the Parliament approved the Prime Ministerial mandate foreseeing the extension of the State of Emergency (OHAL) for another three months. With the approval of this mandate, the State of Emergency in Turkey has been extended for the seventh time since July 21, 2106.
The Presidential and parliamentary election, which was announced by President and Justice and Development Party (AKP) Chair Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to take place on June 24, 2018 instead of November 3, 2019, will be held under State of Emergency conditions.
National Security Council recommended the extension
After its meeting chaired by President Erdoğan on April 17, the National Security Council (MGK) recommended that the State of Emergency be extended for another three months.
HDP and CHP demand the abolishment of State of Emergency
During the discussions held at General Assembly of Parliament yesterday (April 18), the MPs of the main opposition party Republican People's Party (CHP) and Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) made statements in favor of the abolishment of the State of Emergency.
HDP Group Deputy Chairperson Filiz Kerestecioğlu underlined that 2018 Report on Turkey issued by the European Union (EU) requested the immediate abolishment of the State of Emergency and argued that the government demanded that State of Emergency be extended in order to cut the voice of the opposition.
CHP Group Deputy Chairperson Engin Altay stated that the State of Emergency has been causing economic destruction in the country and added, "Let us save Turkey from this shame."
Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Group Deputy Chairperson Erkan Akçay said that the State of Emergency has become an absolute obligation.
State of Emergency since July 20, 2016
- After the coup attempt on July 20, 2016, in a vote attended by 461 MPs, the Grand National Assembly of Turkey approved the State of Emergency with 346 votes in favor and 115 votes against.
- The State of Emergency which would end on October 19, 2016 was extended for another three months.
- The State of Emergency which would end on January 19, 2017 was extended for the second time.
- The State of Emergency was extended for another three months on April 19, 2017.
- The State of Emergency, which had been in force for one year on July 21, 2017, was extended for the fourth time.
- The State of Emergency was extended on October 16, 2017 for the fifth time and on January 19, 2018 for the sixth time.
- On April 18, 2018, the State of Emergency was extended for the seventh time.
Related bianet News
Most Read Today
'Turkey Should Seek UN Inquiry on Khashoggi' 19 October 2018