Click to read the article in Turkish
Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) Mardin MP Mithat Sancar has told Minister of Interior Süleyman Soylu, who called journalist Ertuğrul Özkok “fruit”, “While the LGBTI individuals face violence every day in the country in which you are a minister, how do you think using the word fruit derogatively will affect this violence?”
On March 7, Minister Soylu addressing Özkok had said, “Who are you speaking for Ertuğrul Özkök? Do not interfere with things you don’t know, go be with whoever you want to be with, whether it’s the fruity types in America or Europe“ in the “Referendum Consultation Meeting” in Trabzon province.
Submitting a parliamentary inquiry about this statement, HDP’s Sancar shared the data regarding definition of hate crime and the hate crimes committed against LGBTI individuals in Turkey.
Stressing that one fourth of the hate speeches are issued by the politicians according to Kaos GL’s report, Sancar said, “Over 100 ‘fruits’ are estimated to be killed in hate murders since 2009”.
The questions posed by Sancar to be answered in writing by Minister of Interior Süleyman Soylu are:
- Who did you precisely indicate when you said “nonoş”?
- While the LGBTIs are exposed to daily violence in the country you are a minister for, how do you think your use of the word “nonoş” as an insult will effect this violence?
- How many LGBTI murders were committed since the day you have become a minister?-
- How many cases of violence against the LGBTIs have been reported since the day you have become a minister?
- Of the cases mentioned in questions 3 and 4, how many perpetrators have been found?
- What initiatives did your ministry took in order to solve the unresolved hate murders? (ÇT/TK)