Nine of 16 detained Boğaziçi University students, who appeared in court yesterday (April 3), have been arrested and other six students have been released on probation.
15 of 16 Boğaziçi University students who were in custody were referred to İstanbul Çağlayan Courthouse to give deposition to the Prosecutor's Office after being interrogated at Gayrettepe Security Directorate. The Prosecutor's Office referred the students to the judgeship and requested their arrest on charge of "propagandizing for a terrorist organization." The Criminal Court of Peace ruled that nine students shall be arrested and the other six students shall be released on probation.
One student is still in custody
On March 19, following the incidents that unfolded during the distribution of Turkish delight in commemoration of those who have lost their lives in Turkey's Afrin operation, students started to be taken into custody. On April 2, during the controls conducted by the undercover police officers at the entrance to the South Campus, another Boğaziçi University student was detained.
It has been alleged that the student from the Department of Mathematics who was taken into custody at the entrance to the university also participated in the incident on March 19. The student is still being held in Istanbul Security Directorate to make deposition.
"Turkish delight distributed with really humane feelings"
15 Boğaziçi University students who had been held in custody for two weeks gave deposition to the Prosecutor's Office yesterday (April 3). The Office referred the students to the judgeship and requested their arrest on charge of "propagandizing for a terrorist organization."
On March 19 (Monday) a group of students opened a stand giving out Turkish delight in North Campus following 46 soldiers losing their lives in Afrin. A group of antiwar students protested them by opening a banner reading "Invasion, massacre cannot be marked with Turkish delight". A quarrel sparked between the two groups and the stand was reportedly attacked.
Justice and Development Party (AKP) Youth Branch in police control protested the attack launched on the stand on March 20. In the statement for the press issued, the students were described as "terrorists".
Statements by university presidency and Higher Education Board
In its statement, Boğaziçi University Presidency has said, "We find the attack carried out on the stand unacceptable like any patriot".
"Security forces intervened in the aforementioned demonstrations that were held without approval of our university administration. Necessary investigations and disciplinary procedures have been launched into this hostile demonstration".
In its statement, the Higher Education Board (YÖK) has said, "In order to avoid such incidents causing public indignation, necessary precautions to be taken including amendment in regulations will be concluded by negotiating. This process has been commenced".
Police entered campus
Five anti-war students were detained by police during home and dormitory raids on March 22.
In protest of the detentions, students released a statement on social media calling for a rally in the North Campus. The statement read:
"Detention of the students who weren't even in the campus at the time of the incident is a proof that the attack has been turned into a witch hunt by the government to oppress the opposition in the university".
Prior to the rally time, Anti-Terror teams entering the campus detained seven students by dragging them on the floor. Taken to Gayrettepe Security Directorate and detained there, the students were released on the same day.
Erdoğan called the students "terrorist"
On March 24, Saturday, Erdoğan said, "Those communist, traitor terrorist youngsters scattered the desk. We will not grant those youngsters right to education at university."
16 students in total were taken into custody
On March 25, the police raided the dormitories and houses of the students. After the raids, three Boğaziçi University students, who are also members of the Marxist Thought Community, were taken into custody.
On March 26, three other students were detained after their houses and dormitories were raided by police.
On March 31, two more students from Boğaziçi University were detained.
On April 2, another student was taken into custody at the entrance to the South Campus of the university by undercover police officers. The number of detained students increased to 16 with this detention. (EÜ/AS/SD)
Related bianet News
Support for Detained Boğaziçi University Students by 1,250 Academics 02 April 20181,250 academics from over 100 institutions in 37 countries have demanded the immediate ...
2 Students Detained at Entrance of Boğaziçi University 02 April 2018Two more students from Boğaziçi University were detained on Saturday. Boğaziçi students decorated ...
Raids on Boğaziçi University Dorms Following Erdoğan’s Statement 26 March 2018Police have raided homes and dormitories in the wake of Erdoğan addressing the ...
Most Read Today
ECtHR Condemns Turkey in Case of Aram Publishing House 24 April 2018
52 MEN 52 WEEKS /16 PATRAK ESTUKYAN State Mindset is Against Women 25 April 2018
ECtHR: Workers Have Right to Celebrate May Day 24 April 2018