*Writing on the shop window says, "In the name of Allah, to war"
Click to read the article in Turkish
Maraş Governorship has banned all "meetings, demonstration marches, rallies, commemoration events, setting up stands and tents, press statements and similar activities in Maraş for one month.
The ban has been issued retrospectively and will be in effect from December 12, 2017 and January 12, 2018.
Issued four days before the 39th anniversary of Maraş Massacre on December 19, 1978, the ban covers all commemoration activities as well.
The commemoration activities marking the massacre had been banned by the Governorship in the previous years as well and all entries to and exits from the province were restained.
Between December 19-24,1978, 111 people were killed, according to official reports, in Maraş province when the Sunni residents brutally attacked their Alevite neighbors. According to the unofficial figures, the number of casualties exceeded 500.
Lawsuits were brought against 804 people. 29 of the suspects were sentenced to death penalty, seven other to life in prison and 321 suspects to from 1 to 24 years in prison.
Although thirteen provinces of the country were put under martial law in direct response to the Maraş massacre, this did little to guarantee security of life. Political assassinations continued to occur on a daily basis; just in the course of the trial three lawyers acting for the victims of the massacre, were murdered, and the others faced death threats and were obliged to switch their places of lodging in Adana for the duration of the proceedings.
Discussing and explaining the December 1978 massacre in Maraş has been largely confined to Alevi and leftist circles. There has been little wider discussion, apart from by some on the far right associated with the events. For those who have discussed the events, the overwhelming focus has been on the fact of the killings being the result of a planned conspiracy, the work of rightists and allegedly deep state elements. In some quarters it is even argued to have been the work of international intelligence agencies. That the military court made no attempt to get to the bottom of the incidents has of course fuelled this speculation about the dimensions of the conspiracy.
* Source: bianet article by Emma Sinclair-Webb
Related bianet News
Exhibition Unable to Open After Banning Painting on Maraş Massacre 04 June 2014Planned to open in Beyoğlu Art Gallery, ‘Nostalji 2014’ exhibition couldn’t be held ...
Governor Averts Commemoration on Maraş Massacre 26 December 2011On the 33rd anniversary of the massacre in the southern city of Maraş, ...
Provocation During Commemoration of Maraş Massacre 21 December 2010Alevi Bektashi Federation President Balkız said that the recent provocation of a group ...
Columnist Attacked by BBP Member 13 April 2009Far-right party's youth representative attacks Taraf columnist as he mentions deceased BBP leader's ...
Turkish State TV Program Holds Murdered Hrant Dink Responsible For Maraş Massacre 26 December 2008A program aired on the State TV (TRT) claimed that Hrant Dink, Armenian ...
Thirty Years after the Maraş Massacre 26 December 2008Explanations of the Maraş incidents tended to resist examining the responsibility of the ...
Alevite Meeting For The Still Unsolved Maraş Massacre 22 December 2008Thousands of Alevites met in Adana and demanded the prosecution of the perpetrators ...
Most Read Today
Imprisoned Grup Yorum Band Member: We were Assaulted 19 July 2018
State of Emergency Comes to an End 19 July 2018
52 WEEKS 52 MEN/ 01 MURAT ÇELİKKAN I Must Have Gone Crazy 10 January 2018