In the petition submitted to Hatay 2nd Criminal Judgeship of Peace concerning Onur Kopran who was arrested in Hatay, Antakya, it was stated that one of the reasons of Kopran’s arrest is him talking to his brother and lawyer.
Another reason behind the arrest is that Kopran “attending May 1 demonstrations regularly”. During the deposition, the prosecutor stated that “in his eyes, those who regularly attend May 1 are members of an organization”.
“A decent human being goes to May 1 once, there is no need to go to May 1 all the time”, said the prosecutor.
In the petition objecting to the arrest, it was stated that it is unclear how Kopran, who is charged with “[illegal] organization propaganda”, did the propaganda and during the home search, not even a flag or pennant of an organization was found.
Onur Kopran was detained on November 9, 2017. He arrested by Hatay 2nd Criminal Judgeship of Peace on November 13. The petition objecting to the arrest with lawyer Erdoğan Akdoğdu’s signature was submitted to the judgeship today (November 20). A response is awaited.
Police: We will reintroduce you into the society
27-year-old Onur Koparan was detained during a home raid where he lives with his family in Antakya. There was also Eray Koparan (22) among the suspects.
They have been both charged with “propagandizing for the Communist Labor Party of Turkey/Leninist (TKEP/L)”.
Speaking to bianet, lawyer Akdoğdu said that they couldn’t obtain more information due to the sealing order on the file.
The two suspects said that the police told them “We will reintroduce you into the society” as they were taken to questioning.
Evidence: Phone call with his brother and lawyer
Tapes of phone calls between Onur Kopran and his lawyer were included in the indictment.
In his statement of defense, Kopran said that he called his lawyer to ask about the procedure of application to the State of Emergency Commission concerning Ayışığı Kültür ve Sanat Derneği that was closed through a statutory decree.
Besides, Onur Kopran’s phone conversation with his brother Eray Kopran two years ago was included in the indictment as well. Kopran stated that he didn’t remember the phone call he made in 2015 but since Eray Kopran is his brother, there is a good chance that he talked to him.
“Abdullah Cömert was my friend, I attended his funeral”
Lawyer Akdoğdu listed the reasons for the arrest as follows:
- Going regularly to an art and culture association that is established in accordance with legal procedures.
- Attending legal May 1 demonstration
- Attending a commemoration of Abdullah Cömert (who was killed during Gezi Resistance)
- Attending an event held for Ali İsmail Korkmaz (who was killed during Gezi Resistance)
- Attending a commemoration of Deniz Gemiş
- Attending a protest held for Nuriye Gülmen and Semih Özakça (who have been on hunger strike demanding that they be reinstated to their jobs from which they were discharged through a statutory decree)
- Attending a demonstration held for Berkin Elvan (who was killed during Gezi Resistance).
In the judgeship, Kopran said, “Abdullah Cömert was my friend. I may have attended his funeral and the following commemorations because of that”. (AS/TK)