Contemporary Lawyers Association Ankara Branch claimed that a group of police officers and causally dressed individuals attacked Ankara residents who went out to support Gezi Park resistance. It also reported several attacks on NGO-run infirmaries.
The association said 8 protestors were hospitalized in Ankara Numume Hospital with Ethem Sarısülük ve Mutlu Coşar still in critical condition.
“In last night’s attacks Sarper Gürcan, one of our current member and former general administration member, was targeted with a tear gas bomber from 20 meter distance. The canister hit his head. He has a 4cm diameter scar in his head and risk to lose his eyesight.
According to the statement, only 30 out of 565 detainees were released in Ankara. The remaining detainees are still kept at police headquarters in Ankara.
“Police violence under detention”
The association listed some of the unjust practice under police detention as follows:
* Detentions were arbitrary. No detention warrant was present. Without proper documentation, detainees photographs were taken, their belongings were seized and detainees were forced to give finger prints.
* Detainees were transferred to Forensics Institute too late. For some, it took 12 hours to go on health screening.
* Some detainees have not been officially identified despite the end of detention limit.
* No individuals including police officials know the whereabouts of detainees - a situation that worried both attorneys and family members.
* During captures and detentions, protestors were subjected to ill-treatment with some of them beaten or assaulted.
* Detainees were not reminded of their rights, their basics needs were not met.
* Detainees’ defense rights were restricted with some meeting their attorneys after 12 hours of seizure. There are others who have yet to meet their attorneys.
* Detained protestors were accused of harsh and unacceptable charges that were irrelevant with meeting and demonstration laws. (AS/BM)
* Photo credit: Serhat Korkmaz.
Related bianet News
414 Injured, 15 in Critical Condition in Ankara 02 June 2013Ankara Chamber of Medicines announced that today’s police violence left 414 protestors injured ...
Most Read Today
Discharged Academic Mehmet Fatih Traş Commits Suicide 27 February 2017
Journalist Şifa Gerdi Killed in Explosion 27 February 2017
Number of Registered Child Workers Exceeds 400,000 27 February 2017
Bomb Attack on Train in Diyarbakır 27 February 2017
Barzani Meets With Ahmet Türk, Sırrı Sakık 27 February 2017