Unions and health related business organizations are going to meet in the centrally located district of Kadıköy on Istanbul's Anatolian side on Sunday (18 October) to protest against the health politics of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
"The AKP government first of all announced that people going to private hospitals will pay 20 percent more. After this, the 'extra cost' increased to 30 percent. Meanwhile they work on this proportion to climb up to 70 percent."
These are the key points of the unions' and organizations' criticism:
* A 650 percent increase on health examination fees
* A rise on the "contribution share" for pharmaceuticals
* New "contribution shares"
* Special fee for treatment in private hospitals
* General health insurance
* Sub contracting in the health sector
* Closing down local health centers
* Privatization of hospitals
* Cuts from health budget go to savings -
* Health policies according to IMF and World Bank guide lines
* Health commercialization
* Unsecured work and lack of regulations
* Impairment of professional peace and social peace
* Rigour, paid slavery scheme
* Usurpation of health and social security
The unions and business organization emphasize, "Turkey's health is getting worse and worse. We are not going to keep quiet on this negative development. We are responsible for our citizens and our warnings, recommendations and reactions will continue as usual.
The following unions and organizations are involved in the preparation of the protest meeting: Turkish Medical Association (TTB), the Confederation of Progressive Trade Unions (DISK), Turkey Worker Syndicates Confederation (Turk-Is), 1st Regional Agency, Health and Social Service Workers Union (SES), Revolutionary Health Workers' Union (Dev Health Affairs), Istanbul Chamber of Pharmacists , Istanbul Chamber of Dentists, Istanbul Chamber of Veterinarians and the Istanbul Medical Chamber. (EZÖ/VK)
Related bianet News
Health Workers Protest Draft Legislation 31 January 2007Health care workers protested against the draft legislation that would harm employees personal ...
Most Read Today
Risk Level Increased to "Dangerous" in Turkey's Movie Sets 29 January 2015
The Aftermath of Kobane in Photos 29 January 2015
The Most Touchy Apparatus: The State 14 February 2006
BIA OCT-NOV-DEC 2014 MEDIA MONITORING REPORT More Attacks on Media as "Security" Bolsters 26 January 2015
ECHR Convicts Turkey in Arm-Losing Inmate Case 27 January 2015