The Ankara Public Chief Prosecution dismissed the criminal complaint filed by the family of killed Cumhuriyet newspaper writer Uğur Mumcu. The family of the journalists had filed a complaint this January, 18 years after the murder, and demanded legal action against the officials who allegedly carried out the investigation and the prosecution with negligence. The Ankara Public Chief Prosecution decided now against a corresponding prosecution.
The Mumcu family and the lawyers trying to bring light into the incident announced that their struggle to find the people who were really responsible for the murder did not cease. "This file will not be closed until the real perpetrators behind the incident have been revealed, not the ones who presented a culprit to the public. The file must not be closed", they said.
Investigative journalist Mumcu was killed on 24 January 1993 by the explosion of a bomb that had been placed at his car in front of his home in Ankara. On the 18th anniversary of his death, Mumcu's family had applied for the prosecution of the officials who neglected the investigation and the prosecution of the real perpetrators and instigators.
The words of the then Chief of Police, Mehmet Ağar, said during a visit to Mumcu's widow Güldal Mumcu were on the agenda for years. He had pointed to the forces he encountered during the investigation and said "A wall is being put up". When Mumcu told him to tear the wall down he replied, "I cannot".
Chief Prosecutor: Necessary things were done...
The Ankara Chief Prosecution claimed that the following facts related to the murder were determined by the court: On 11 July 2000, a case was opened against defendants Ferhan Özmen and Necdet Yüksel; the Ankara No.2 State Security Court convicted both defendants; the assassination was carried out by Özmen, Yüksel and still fugitive Oğuz Demir; all three of them were members of the Tawhid-Salaam Jerusalem Organization that was alleged to be behind the murder, according to the court.
The decision stated that the trial against Oğuz Demir was still pending at the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court and that an arrest warrant was released about him. Also the search by Interpol was still being continued, the decision said.
Moreover, it was mentioned that the case against alleged Tawhid-Salaam Jerusalem Organization members Aydın Koral, Selahattin Eş, Ali Akbulut and Ahmet Cansız was still pending before the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court. Arrest warrants were issued about all defendants and Aydın Koral is being searched by Interpol as well.
The decision indicated that three separate criminal cases have been opened against all suspects related to the murder and that all suspects were searched by arrest warrant. One defendant had a Red Bulletin at Interpol. The Ankara 11th High Criminal Court was still working on arresting the suspects, the decision said.
It read, "The court decreed against the prosecution according to Article 223/7 of the Turkish Criminal Law because of the finalized case files about the suspects and the pending indictments and because no negligence of public officials in the investigation and the prosecution could be confirmed". (EÖ/VK)
Related bianet News
18 YEARS OF IMPUNITY Mumcu's Relatives Urge for Punishment of Offical Neglect 25 January 201118 years after the murder of journalist Uğur Mumcu, his family applied to ...
HRANT DINK Still Pursuing Justice Four Years after Dink Murder 20 January 2011"No justice in 4 years" was one of the messages on the signs ...
"Unsolved Murder Cases Should not Be Closed by Prescrition" 12 February 2010Relatives of victims of political murders visited the Parliament to talk to officials ...
Most Read Today
Prison Sentence of WSJ Turkey Reporter Albayrak Overturned 14 November 2018
Demirtaş: I Have A Flat, Not A Palace 14 November 2018
Women to Take to Squares on November 25 to Stand Against Violence 14 November 2018
Municipality and union agree: Husbands May Be Fired in Case of Domestic Violence 10 January 2008
52 MEN 52 WEEKS/ 45 KIVANÇ SEZER Laziness State of Manhood 14 November 2018