Minister of Justice Mehmet Ali Şahin apologized from the relatives of Engin Ceber on behalf of the State and the Government for his death. According to Taylan Tanay, with whom bianet met about the matter, said, “No government official has ever apologized for torture. This is a positive step.”
“The inspectors determined there was bad treatment”
The Minister of Justice has also announced his inspectors determined that Ceber had been subjected to bad treatment.
Total of nineteen officials from the Metris Prison, including the prison doctor, have been removed from their posts temporarily.
Şahin also said Sarıyer’s Chief Prosecutor was investigating the matter to determine whether or not Ceber was tortured. According to cnnturk.com, a civil service chief inspector and a police chief inspector, assigned by the Ministry of Interior, have been making inspections for the past two days.
Tanay: Positive but late and not enough
Lawyer Tanay stated that the minister’s announcement was “late and not enough”.
“I wish they could have been removed from their posts when Ceber had been taken to the hospital on October 7. This way the witnesses who were listened in the meantime would have been able to give more objective statements.”
“This act is punishable by life sentence with no possibility for parole. The suspects should have been arrested immediately.”
Tanay is hoping that this announcement will be put on Ceber’s file and the secrecy decision regarding the case will be lifted.
Tanay also says the Sarıyer prosecutor, who had ordered the arrest of Ceber and his friends, cannot conduct this investigation.
“The office of the Sarıyer Prosecutor that asked for the arrest of the victims rather than the investigation of the torture cannot be objective in this torture investigation. Both the prosecutor and the judge are responsible, too. We will file a complaint against them with the Supreme Council of the Judges and Prosecutors. ”
“We are certain of torture”
Lawyer Tanay says that they have no second thoughts about the torture, since the medical examinations made on Ceber’s corpse showed various bruises.
Tanay says they are hoping Minister of Interior Beşir Atalay, who controls the police in the country, will make a similar announcement. (TK/TB)
Related bianet News
Lawyers Cannot Have The File In Ceber’s Death 13 October 2008Lawyer Timtik says the secrecy decision in the investigation of Engin Ceber’s torture ...
A 29 Year Old Dies From Torture For Participating In A Press Release 10 October 2008Lawyer Aslan said that one of her clients, twenty-nine year old Ceber, died ...
Most Read Today
Turkish Police to Purchase 65 New TOMAs 30 October 2014
How ISIS Impacts on Turkey’s Daily Life 31 October 2014
“THE TURK WHO SAVED ME” PROJECT Story Project Aims to Face the Genocide Without Prejudice 27 October 2014
Energy Minister Slams Mine Company’s Comment 30 October 2014
Turkish Army Denies PKK’s Statement on Yüksekova Killings 29 October 2014